Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Grandma Got Run Over by the Hodgepodge

I'm leaving on a jet plane... yep, for the last 5 days I've been in LA helping my parents move (more on that later) and today I fly home, back to my kiddos and my amazing husband and the freezing cold... brrr.... but more importantly, today is my eldest C's 14th birthday! Happy birthday kiddo! I'll see you in a few hours!

On to the Hodgepodge!

1. Will you be hosting any house guests between now and the end of December? Does that thought make you happy or crazy? Do you do anything special for your guests to make them feel at home? How long should a house guest stay?

This year is pretty low key for us, which will be nice after such a crazy year. No visitors, no major traveling, probably just a few days down in Salt Lake City for New Years. And while we will miss not being with our family, having kids always makes the holidays fun!

When guests come to stay, I always have a basket in their room with fresh rolled towels, hand soaps, and chocolate for them.

A house guest should not stay any longer than 5 days if possible.


2. Walter Elias Disney was born this week (December 5) back in 1905 ...what's your all time favorite Disney movie?

Oh gosh, there are so many! I love the movie "Up" - any cartoon movie that can make me cry and laugh every time I see it is a winner in my book! I also love the music in both "Enchanted" and in "Tangled"

3. What was the last thing you purchased that you realized was a mistake after the fact?

hahaha - yesterday I went to Home Depot for my dad to buy new electrical outlets for their new house and I bought the wrong kind. Sheesh.

4. What percentage of your Christmas shopping is done online?

Almost all of it - the crowds, craziness, and over-commercialization of the main stores drive me crazy. Amazon is my friend.

5. Amaryllis-snowdrop-poinsettia...your favorite winter blossom?

Poinsettia! I love the way they look against the snow and the greenery!

6. What is one thing on your personal Christmas wish list? I think we all want peace on earth so let's make this answer an actual item.

I would love the new iPhone 4S, but I don't think that's going to happen... so I'll say the Pioneer Woman's Cookbook - I love her recipes, her photos, and her descriptions!

7. If you could only use one word today what would it be?

LOVE!
8. Insert your own random thought here.

For the last 5 days I have been in Los Angeles helping my 70-year-old parents move from their house of 40 years into a much smaller place. It has been an adventure of sorts. Moving from 2400 sqft to 1300 sqft. Oy.

As my brother and I sorted through their boxes and such, we couldn't help but laugh and shake our heads... a lot... and so yesterday I wrote this little "ode to my parents" for them. Enjoy!


On the first day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
A little house in Duarte

On the second day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte

On the third day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Three ugly lamps
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte

On the fourth day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Four cleaning mops,
Three ugly lamps,
Two vacuum cleaners,
and a little house in Duarte

On the fifth day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Five garden hose reels!
Four cleaning mops
Three ugly lamps
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte

On the sixth day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Six too many chairs
Five garden hose reels!
Four cleaning mops
Three ugly lamps
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte

On the seventh day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Seven lonely yard sticks
Six too many chairs
Five garden hose reels!
Four cleaning mops
Three ugly lamps
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte





On the eighth day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Eight boxes of random tools
Seven lonely yard sticks
Six too many chairs
Five garden hose reels!
Four cleaning mops
Three ugly lamps
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte

On the ninth day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Nine fake flowering plants
Eight boxes of random tools
Seven lonely yard sticks
Six too many chairs
Five garden hose reels!
Four cleaning mops
Three ugly lamps
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte

On the tenth day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Ten boxes of Christmas lights
Nine fake flowering plants
Eight boxes of random tools
Seven lonely yard sticks
Six too many chairs
Five garden hose reels!
Four cleaning mops
Three ugly lamps
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Eleven different bath towels
Ten boxes of Christmas lights
Nine fake flowering plants
Eight boxes of random tools
Seven lonely yard sticks
Six too many chairs
Five garden hose reels!
Four cleaning mops
Three ugly lamps
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte


On the twelfth day of Christmas, my parents gave to me
Twelve assorted razors
Eleven different bath towels
Ten boxes of Christmas lights
Nine fake flowering plants
Eight boxes of random tools
Seven lonely yard sticks
Six too many chairs
Five garden hose reels!
Four cleaning mops
Three ugly lamps
Two vacuum cleaners
and a little house in Duarte

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Love the 12 days of Christmas for your parents.

Jui said...

Oh, how I miss your made up songs! :) This one great :) Hope you have a safe trip home!

Erika Mehlhaff said...

Ummmm...I'm coming to visit...for 5 days...I *love* Godiva, by the way... ;-)

Nikki said...

chocolates?! Can i come over? ;)

Joyce said...

Love your 12 Days of Christmas tribute : ) Happy Birthday to your big kid!

Krista said...

I have the PW Cookbook and it is great! Love your song also :) Hope you are not freezing in the tundra :)

Susan said...

I still have not seen UP, but it is definitely on my list. I have heard it is great. We must be friends since we have a mutual friend named Amazon. :) Great song, and I'm sure the moving was quite an adventure. Can't imagine having to move my parents.