Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Perfectly Seasoned Hodgepodge


Join Joyce here to join the weekly Hodgepodge!  Come on... you know you want to!  ;-)

1. What reveals more about a woman-her refrigerator or her purse?

Oh, definitely her purse!  The refrigerator can hide all kinds of wishful thinking healthy options - all natural yogurts, veggies and fruits intended for consumption but instead withering a slow death in the musher crisper, yummy cheeses bought on a whim but then abandoned once I looked at the fat content...

But the purse - in here lies what a woman truly values and needs on a moment's notice.  At the moment, my purse contains: a wallet (debit card, credit card, military i.d., drivers license, Starbucks gift card), keys, cell phone, mini hand sanitizer, sun tan lotion for baseball games, pen and scrap paper to entertain youngsters, reminders for upcoming doctors/dentist/hair appointments.  This is the stuff of life.

2. When was the last time you went to the zoo? Where? What's your favorite zoo animal?

The last time I went to the zoo was in January, when DH and I had a wonderful weekend away up in Boise - just the two of us, no children... ahhh... room service, taking naps (!), no children arguing and bickering over sleeping arrangements of which McDonalds playland to eat in when we want to go to a more refined restaurant... pardon me while I escape to that happy place...

oh sorry, where was I?  Oh yes... we had some time to kill before our concert, so we walked through the zoo - it is a very small zoo, and even in prime season there aren't that many animals, and well, it was JANUARY IN IDAHO - so a lot of the animals had been taken inside until the temperatures outside would be more accommodating.  I felt like asking them if I could join them and hibernate myself.  But I didn't.  I refrained.

I love Idaho.  I don't mind winter.  I just don't like 7 months of winter.  Seriously... enough already...

Can you tell I'm ready for warmer temperatures?

Anyhoo...

My favorite zoo animal is the lion.  Awesome... amazing... and while normally they just sleep in the sun, on this weekend we were there, they were playing with each other and roaring and it was just. So. Cool.  And as I mentioned, I was there, sharing it with my DH, which made it even more awesome.

3. What social issue fires you up?

Oh my... only one?

Child abuse.
The lack of concern by the government regarding the decline in our education system, the treatment of the military and veterans, and the moral decline of our leaders

Ok, so that was four... I could go on, but I won't...


4. Are you a coupon clipper? If so, are you extreme?

I am a sale shopper.  An occasional coupon clipper.  A "free shipping" shopper.  A "Search on www.retailmenot.com for any online coupon deals before placing my order shopper.  I do take advantage of Albertsons double coupons.  But I am definitely not extreme, as in, keep a binder with coupons carefully clipped and sorted according to store, aisle, and best deals - I feel that searching for the best deal on every single item on my list is not only exhausting and frustrating, but really, in cost and time and energy effectiveness, what have I gained by spending 30 minutes searching for a coupon to save .20 on spaghetti sauce?  

5. What is one of your favorite souvenirs brought back from your travels?

Before my DH deployed to Iraq 5 years ago, we had a weekend away at a bed and breakfast on the North Carolina coast.  As we wandered through the downtown shops, there was a display of Willow Tree figurines.  my DH and I have given these to each other over the years, but I had for some reason never seen this one before... and, with his first deployment just days away, it brought me to tears... and he bought it for me.  I love it.  Especially right now, with him serving in Afghanistan.  This is where we belong... in each others arms.



6. Lemon meringue or key lime?

I love them both - but only if made with real lemons or with actual key limes from the Florida keys.  What can I say... growing up with a huge lemon tree in our California yard, and living in Florida for 5 years... both have spoiled me indeed in this regard.

But if I have to choose?  Key lime.  With a really strong cup of coffee.

7. What is the most beautiful word you know in any language?

Peace

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm all out of random thoughts at the moment.  So I'll just put up this hilarious clip - for anyone who is currently parenting teens or pre-teens... this will surely give you a smile to get you through yet another day of eye rolling, sarcastic comments, and begging for the latest technological gizmo...


6 comments:

Empty Nester said...

Enjoyed reading your answers to this week's questions! We're finished raising our four daughters, for the most part anyway, so no teenagers here. I will say though, that not a single one of them was a horrid or troublesome teen! We were quite lucky there!

Anonymous said...

Back in the day, before the internet, shoppers had to look for sales the old fashioned way by comparing ads. I'm so glad that websites like frugalcouponliving.com and southernsavers.com do all of the hard work for us! I've gotten away from my couponing since I began teaching last August, but I plan on getting back into it after I finish my last round of classes in June.

Joyce said...

Ha-loved the video! Thanks for sharing : )

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS! The clip was amazing. I've seen the first guy (don't know his name) before and I'm totally a fan of his. I need to send this clip to my daughters - especially my oldest who teaches 3rd grade!!

Susan said...

Loved your sweet souvenir. Hope you will be back together soon!

Zoanna said...

What a precious souvenir. I would have been undone. Thank you for supporting your husband and thank him for doing what he does on our behalf. I have such respect for you.