Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yeah Yeah yeah...

So, I know I've been delinquent in my blogging lately.  Life has been a bit... strange... and well, when you come on to my blog and see that there are subsequent Wednesday Hodgepodge postings in a row, and that I didn't even get to last week's, so now there is a good two week gap in between postings... well, send out the Search and Rescue Team!

In my defense, last Wednesday I was flying to California for the funeral of my husband's grandmother.  Hubby was not allowed to come home from Afghanistan since, well, he had just gotten there.  I'm beginning to be a bit superstitious about his deployments, as the last time he went to Iraq, his grandfather passed away a week later.  Perhaps we should put all grandparents on a very strict health regime or perhaps a giant plastic bubble before he deploys next time. Or use this as an excellent excuse to get out of the military.  Quite literally, for the health of our family!   :-)

So anyway... off to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge, courtesy of Joyce from http://joyce-fromthissideofthepond.blogspot.com/  Check out her site - it's a fun blog to read.  If I were even the slightest bit techno-savvy I would be able to post the actual link.  But alas, i am not.  I've tried.  And the linky?  Doesn't appear.  Sorry Joyce!



1. Sunday was the first day of spring. So they say. Ahem.
What is your favorite outdoor springtime activity?

My favorite springtime activity is planting new flowers in my pots!  Hanging baskets, on my front porch steps, around the trees, seeing the bulbs that I planted last fall come through - now THAT is my favorite, actually... going outside and peeking under the leaves to see if my bulbs are popping up!  Also seeing the trees come back into bloom!

2. Who would you want to come into your kitchen to cook dinner for you?

Honestly, anyone who will not only cook but set the table and clean up after themselves!  I'm not hard to please.

But if I had to choose someone, it would be my Grandma Claires - because try as I may, I can NOT get my french bread to taste like hers, and I really really really would like to know what her secret was.  One of the many questions I hope to have answered in heaven.


3. When did you last fly a kite?

Seeing as how Mountain Home, Idaho has wind that NEVER EVER stops blowing, we could probably fly kites year-round, if it weren't for the ARCTIC FREEZING temperatures that goes right through you!  We don't have many trees in our yard, but apparently the one weeping willow tree we have is of the Charlie Brown "Kite eating tree" persuasion.


4. What topic puts you to sleep faster than anything?

Really, a toss-up between html computer stuff and financial planning.  Actually - I have the same philosophy about both.  I love it when they both work, without me having to do much about it, and when I need assistance on either, I am oh-so-grateful that there are people who a) know what they are doing and b) can take care of any needs we might have

5. Which flowers do you associate with specific people, places, or events?

Geraniums, I always associate with my grandparents' side garden by their driveway.  I love the sweet lemony smell of the underside of geranium leaves, and I remember helping my grandparents dead head their plants and getting that sweet smell on my hands.  

And as a side note - Mrs Meyers Geranium Scented Counter Cleaner is the BEST smelling stuff in the world.  Makes me happy to clean.  Which is REALLY saying something!

6. What significant historical events took place during your elementary school days?

When I was in second grade, the Iran Hostage Crisis came to an end.  The reason why I remember this is my classmate and friend, Kim Tippet, her uncle was one of the hostages.  She got to fly in a plane and go see her uncle after he was released.  I remember being very jealous of the fact that she got to fly in a plane and was on the news and she had her very own Walkman tape player, and I know this because I saw it on the news.  And I didn't know what a hostage was then.  Sadly, I do now.


7. Do you swear? Do you pseudo-swear? (You know crap, shoot, friggin'?)

I really try not to.  But the other day, when i was flying home from the funeral 10 days after my husband deployed to Afghanistan and I had been through every emotion under the sun, and got the "you have bulges around your waist so we need to pat you down" TSA check (I informed them that the "bulges" were my muffin top, resultant of giving birth three times... but they  needed to pat it down themselves to reassure them of this fact), and then both of my flights had been delayed and I had to walk in the rain to two different terminals trying to find the USO to relax in, which ended up being more of an insult to the military than a service (San Francisco Airport, you should be ashamed), and then go back through security a second time and the TSA agent told me I had too many bags and I needed to put my purse in my backpack, I kinda lost it and may have glared at her and said "Are you FRICKIN KIDDING ME???"  Not my finest moment... sigh...

But at least I didn't drop the "real" F-bomb.  That would have been unladylike.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I got the Wii Fit for my birthday.  I love it, because on days like today, when I couldn't decide whether I wanted to go on a run, do some boxing, or do yoga, I could do all three - from the privacy of my living room, in between loads of laundry!

however...

WHO IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS SANE DESIGNED THIS THING?  Did you know that every time you step on the Wii Board, a little female voice exclaims "OH!"  as if you have shocked it with your weight.  Ahh yes, vaguely insulting it is.  And THEN, when you do the fitness balance test (which is a lot harder than you would think), if you do poorly, it asks you if you find yourself tripping while you walk!  Why thank you, Wii Fit, not only am I too heavy for you, but now I'm clumsy as well?  Are you serious???  

Perhaps I need to go do some more boxing...

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Sorry you've been having a week (or two!) but I'm glad you played along. We have a Wii but haven't purchased the Wii fit...my daughters considered buying it for my birthday which was a big one but I think the look on my face shot that idea down. Not that I'd mind but I didn't really need to be reminded on my birthday that I'm not what I used to be! : ) Take care!

DD said...

I hate the "oh" on the Wii Fit... Really? The worst is that it doesn't say "Oh" to either of my children. That just annoys me even more.