Monday, May 11, 2009
Erika Jean Coffey March 8, 1980 - April 24, 2009
Before getting into our vacation to Disney World and Clarissa's gymnastics competition, I wanted to post about our dear friend Erika who lost her life in a car accident two weeks ago. Erika and I met 6 years ago when she and Rob were newlyweds and our husbands were getting ready to complete their WSO training here in Pensacola. Duane and Rob were roomates at IFF while Erika and I held down the fort here - she would come over and play with Caleb and Clarissa, we would travel together to visit our husbands, and she housesat for us when I took the kids to Dallas - she forgot to water my newly planted plants, but who remembers things like that?
We went through the B-course in Goldsboro, where she threw a baby shower for me and watched our kids when I had false labor... in short, we were best friends - and even when they moved to Alaska, we would talk often - she even emailed me when she went into labor with Andrew! I told her, silly girl, get off the computer and get to the hospital! :-) We were thrilled when we both arrived in Pensacola 6 months apart, they came over to our house literally the moment they arrived. We would call each other, sharing the "funnies" that our kids and/or husbands would do (!) planning our next assignments together, sharing the joys and frustrations of living far away from family and being in the Air Force with a young family. I even called her the day of her accident to tell her a funny thing I had seen in the grocery store - that's the kind of friends we were. (And if you think I'll ever look at that shower gel the same...)
I'm going to miss her more than words can say - during this school year we would meet almost weekly for impromptu Starbucks runs - she would get her coffee and I would get my baby fix as I held their infant son, James. But more than assignments, families, and coffee dates, we shared our love for Christ, our dedication to our husbands, and a friendship that went deeper than most military friendships.
I miss you, Erika. In 6 years we were stationed together 3 times. i don't take that lightly - and I can't wait to see you again someday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh, Sally. I can't imagine but I do know this is a tough lesson for all of us to appreciate all the wonderful people around us. I never crossed paths with Erika but my heart has been heavy ever since I have heard. You are in my prayers.
I found you through Gretchen's blog, and I am glad I did, as I will put Erika on my prayer list today. I will pray for her family, and you as well. I am sad and sorry to read this story.
Every day we are given is such a gift. I try to remember that...and it is hard..and then we get these tragic reminders.
If I could bring you a Starbucks, I would.
God Bless
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog - In the midst of the craziness of raising a household, sometimes God reminds us that each moment is so precious and we never know when it may be our last... I appreciate your prayers for Erika's family and for those of us who miss her so dearly... may God bless you this weekend!
Post a Comment