So... the kids are in school... all three of them (Did I just hear a rousing rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus behind me?) Now, granted, Colin is only in pre-K, which takes place every day from 8:30 - 11:30. But, let me repeat... that's EVERY day. (Repeat Hallelujah Chorus again!)
Some may criticize me for these feelings of freedom - "You chose motherhood, you've always said it was the most rewarding thing you've ever done, WHY oh WHY would you rejoice at this time AWAY from them?" But really, it's not just the joy of having a few hours to do those little things that are just so much harder, even impossible, to do with young company... but it's a bittersweet feeling of accomplishment as I see my children growing up, becoming more independent as they try new things, slowly separating themselves from the cocoon Duane and I have nurtured them in so far. And yes, having a few hours free is nice after 10 years of constant company everywhere I go!
And so, now I laugh at myself. Because for the first time, I find myself wondering what I'm going to do with my precious three hours each morning. I've pretty well established a routine of getting the older two off to school, then enjoying an hour of Colin-time before I drop him off to pre-K. Then, I trot myself off to the gym... OK, maybe TROT is too perky of a word... this morning, for example, I had a VERY lengthy discussion with myself over the virtues of exercising versus going to Starbucks and hiding in one of their cushy chairs with a good book and a grande mocha-light coffee! Sigh... but in the end, I know I'll go to the gym... but maybe I'll reward myself afterwards with the Starbucks - you can't say I'm not goal-oriented!
One thing I know for sure, though... I will not allow myself to become guilt-ridden over enjoying this time off. Nor will I allow myself to be unproductive during this time... lose 10 pounds, tone up the rest, stop for an occasional Starbucks (do you see a theme this morning?), it's all good...
2 comments:
Don't feel guilty. What I great milestone you have hit. FREE TIME. I dream of it. One day I will be there too!
I'm singing the Hallelujah Chorus for you! Enjoy that time! :)
Post a Comment